mandag 30. juli 2007

Chihuahua

30th of July

After a good night sleep at the bus I was looking forward to explore a new city. Chihuahua turned out to be very different to what I had got in mind. It seems like the average wage level here is lower than in for instance Zacatecas. All the missing persons posters that’s hanging on every lamp post is frightening. Human traffic seems like a big problem here, which is really horrifying. Me and OC was walking downtown when this old man started to talk to us. He was quite good at English, and very interested in what we were doing in Chihuahua. I still haven’t seen any other white skinned people in this town, so we sure attracted a lot of attention. Anyways, this old man that we were talking to showed us a lot of tricks with his handkerchief. He was making all sort of animals, humans and food out of it. I must admit that I suspected him to co-operate with somebody else to steal our wallets. He tried to get all our attention, while some of his friends walked behind our backs. I had my hand on the wallet, so I guess that’s why they didn’t dare to try to take it. Let’s just hope he was a friendly man that wanted to show his well trained handkerchief tricks.

In the evening we watched a movie about Francisco “Pancho” Villa. I found the movie very interesting, and informative regarding to Mexican history. We had visited Francisco Villa’s house earlier today, and I recognized some of the locations in the movie. It was also cool to see the car that he was shot in. I can understand that he is a real hero for the Mexicans, since he wanted to free the people from the Spaniards. Although, his methods are of course questionable, and I sure understand that the Americans hate him. He is an important part of Mexican history and culture, and is like a Ernesto Che Guevarra is for the Cubans.

Finally I understand why there is so many that has written 20th of November on walls all over Mexico, and there’s actually a street here in Chihuahua called 20th of November (in Spanish).

Ingen kommentarer: